Women on Mission
In 1888, a handful of women dedicated to the cause of missions founded Woman's Missionary Union. Since that time, WMU has become the largest Protestant missions organization for women in the world, with a membership of approximately 1 million.
From the beginning, WMU's main purpose has been to educate and involve women, girls, and preschoolers in the cause of Christian missions. Throughout its history, WMU has been an auxiliary to the Southern Baptist Convention, which means that it acts as a "helper" to the SBC.
The Missions Focus of Women on Mission
- Pray for and give to missions.
- Do missions.
- Learn about missions.
- Develop spiritually toward a missions lifestyle.
- Participate in the work of the church and denomination.
Women on Mission Core Values
- We uphold the foundational principles of the priesthood of every believer and the autonomy and uniqueness of each local church in carrying out the Great Commission.
- We embrace the strategic role of prayer and giving for missionaries and missions needs.We recognize the role of family in discipleship and missions development.
- We recognize the giftedness of women and girls and accept the responsibility to help them use their gifts in serving Christ.
- We accept the responsibility for nurturing preschoolers, children, youth, and adults in missions.
- We accept the responsibility for developing and equipping missions leaders.
- We accept the Biblical mandate to respond to human need with actions modeled by Jesus Christ and with the message of God's redemptive plan.
- We partner with other Great Commission Christians to lead a lost world to Christ.
We believe that Jesus Christ, Son of God, gave His life as a sacrifice for the salvation of all the people of the world, fulfilling God's plan for the ages as revealed in the Bible, God's Holy Word.
Women on Mission Vision Statement
Women on Mission challenges Christian believers to understand and be radically involved in the mission of God.
The Ministries Focus of Women on Mission
First Baptist Church Hickory Withe's Women on Mission are active in the following:
- Participating in Seasons of Prayer for Missions:
- Annie Armstrong Easter Offering (North America Missions)
- Golden Offering for Tennessee Missions
- Lottie Moon Christmas Offering (International Missions)
- Cooperative Program
- Mother's Day Offering for Baptist Children's Home
- Fall and Winter Bible study
- Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child
- Providing a meal after the funeral for the families of church members who pass away.
- Women's Get-Together and Connection for teen girls in Gatlinburg each spring.
- Friends to Gallaway Baptist Church's ministry
- Promoting Sanctity of Life